Winter hasn’t been too terribly cold so far, but I’m still craving all the hearty, warming foods that come with the seasonal temperature change. Soup is one of my favourite winter foods, and the perfect way to warm the soul on a cold winter’s day. This simple carrot ginger bisque is a staple in my kitchen this time of year!
Carrot Ginger Bisque
- Cutting board
- Large soup pot
- Spatula / serving spoon
- Can opener
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups carrots, roughly sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, roughly diced
- 2 stalks celery, roughly diced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 can (400mL) full-fat coconut milk
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic and ginger for approximately 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Pour in vegetable broth, then add vegetables and curry powder.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking add coconut milk and stir until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a high-speed blender and purée until smooth. Garnish as desired and enjoy!