I always love seeing what my colleagues are up to and let me tell you, they are some busy bees. In fact, fellow Culinary Nutrition Experts Candi and Rita from Core & Rind have just released their line of Cashew Cheesy Sauces in Canada!
I took their ‘Bold and Spicy‘ flavor for a test drive with a favorite childhood recipe (see below) and hot diggity dog was it delicious. The original recipe called for cheddar cheese soup, which, besides being full of dairy, is also full of additives and preservatives. Core & Rind’s sauce was the ideal replacement with its whole-food ingredients and quality cheese flavor. Needless to say, my inner child was ecstatic to be able to enjoy this old favorite in a healthier way!
I ended up using the last of the Bold and Spicy sauce on some Taco Salad and also drizzled it on top of a savory chicken waffle – talk about versatile!
Next, I used their ‘Rich and Smoky‘ flavor in place of shredded cheese in a squash bake and was unfortunately not as thrilled. I found the smoke flavor to be very overpowering and feel like the ‘Sharp and Tangy‘ flavor would’ve been a better choice for that dish. I did give the Smoky sauce a second chance on some tofu as part of a savory brunch and it was PERFECT. Less seems to be more with that one.
All in all, I give Core & Rind two thumbs up for creating such a versatile product in both flavor and use. The options are practically endless as to what you can use them for – dips, dressings, drizzles, sauces, soups, you name it, you can do it!
About Core & Rind
As dairy-free eating becomes more and more popular, the need for dairy-free versions of traditional favorites increases and Core & Rind have hit that niche with their cheese sauces. In fact, their products fit all the major alternative diets as they are also plant-based, vegan, Whole 30, Keto and Paleo – amazing!
Taco Cheese Fries
- Large bowl
- Baking sheets
- Baking dish (9×13")
- 2.5 lbs sweet potatoes *If in a pinch can use 3 bags of frozen sweet potato fries instead
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil *Eliminate if using frozen fries
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup diced seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper *If in a pinch can sub the onion, tomato and pepper for 1 cup of mild salsa
- 1 jar 'Bold and Spicy' Cashew Cheesy Sauce from Core & Rind
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Add potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle in oil. Using a spatula, mix until potatoes are coated. Then, transfer to baking sheets and spread out in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven and flip fries using a spatula. Put back in oven for another 15 minutes. *If using frozen fries bake as per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, whisk together taco seasoning, vegetables (or salsa) cheese sauce and milk until smooth.
- When fries are done baking, transfer to a 9×13” baking dish and drizzle sauce on top. Put back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until heated through. Enjoy!